Software Landing Page
- GitHub: https://github.com/KiCad
- Tutorials: https://www.kicad-pcb.org/help/tutorials/
- Book: https://www.kicad-pcb.org/help/books
- KiCad Forums: https://forum.kicad.info/
Cheatsheet for key functions: https://silica.io/static/downloads/kicad-cheatsheet.pdf
The way to use KiCad is to have one hand on the mouse and the other hand on the keyboard. The mouse navigates the page, while the hand activates the function.
To see the list of available functions, right-click on something will popup a menu with the functions and the keys to activate them. For example, the schematic layout editor menu shows "wire" (key "w"), "move" (key "M"), "rotate" (key "r"), "drag" (key "g"), and so on. Write these on a post-it note and stick it to your monitor for easy reference.
You can do almost everything you need with the mouse and a handful of functions. For example, make one 0.1 uF bypass capacitor, then "copy" (key "c") the component several times as needed for the schematic.
Digikey and Sparkfun: https://josefmtd.com/2018/08/14/adding-github-libraries-in-kicad-english/
- "Getting to Blinky 5.0" by Chris Gammell (Contextual Electronics)
- An introduction to KiCad by Shawn Hymel (Digikey)